Thursday, November 30, 2006

Governor Tom Vilsack

Today the outgoing Governor of Iowa, Tom Vilsack, announced that he is seeking the Democratic Party's nomination for President of the USA. I met Governor Vilsack numerous years ago when he was a state senator in Iowa but do not know him well. From what I have heard and read he leaves the Governor's Mansion with a reputation of fiscal conservatism and moderate policy views as evidenced by his current chairmanship of the centrist, Democratic Leadership Council.

But what about his wife -- Christie Vilsack -- what do we know about her? Let's begin with her First Lady of Iowa website:

http://www.christievilsack.org/

My quick review of her website shows that she is focused on building a "sense of community" via the following four priorities in her First Lady role:

  • Promoting literacy with Stories 2000,
  • Encouraging students to get involved in politics,
  • Inviting Iowans to Terrace Hill, and
  • Promoting Iowa as the food capital of the world
Additionally I note on her website the following observations:

  • Habitat for Humanity -- she is promoting this very worthy non-profit organization. I have worked on habitat homes myself as a "gofer" and would encourage everyone to do the same so we can phase out the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development!!
  • Book Club -- http://www.christievilsack.org/book_club/index.html -- I like the list of books she utilized for her book club especially the addition of biographies on President John Adams and Secretary of Treasury Alexander Hamilton
  • Languages -- having studied Spanish and having worked on a short term project in Bosnia I found this quote from her website very interesting since I share her global view of reading/foreign languages -- "Read to children . . . Open Young Minds in Spanish or Bosnian, too."

Christie Vilsack's focus on children and literacy reminds me a lot of the current First Lady - Laura Bush - whom I have advocated as a Vice Presidential candidate option for Republicans in 2008 at my other blog: http://spacebeaglenotes.blogspot.com

The race for 2008 is on.

Research continues,

Todd

No comments: